Wednesday, July 25, 2012

low Glycemic Snacks - Breakfast and Lunch Idea

I was just reading the other day that unleavened bread has a lower glycemic load then regular bread, because your body takes longer to break down the unleavened bread.

What is unleaved bread?  According to Wikipedia, "The term unleavened bread can also refer to breads which are not prepared with leavening agents." Most Flat breads are unleaved and pita breads are only slightly leavened. 


I like to make my own Pita Chips.  I take a nice wholewheat Pita pocket, and spray it with Butter Flavored PAM... then I shake on some salt and pepper and onion powder... ON BOTH SIDES... then I bake at 350 until completely dry.  Once cooled off, I break apart and put 1 pita per ziplock bag (make sure they are completely cooled, dry and crunchy before putting them in the ziplock so they don't get soggy) 


Now, armed with your own homemade whole grain (and if you're lucky you will find sprouted pita bread) You can dip it in peanut butter, hummus, salsa, egg salad, tuna fish!  No need for bread when you have your stock pile of these tasty crunchy homemade pita chips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment