Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Low Glycemic Load Sandwich Substitute - LGI Lunch

Yesterday I was inundated with emails asking me for links to lunch recipes and more.  Lunch seems to be a very difficult meal to plan and I understand why... you're usually not at home.  You don't have the supplies you need AND you have to plan ahead.

The new staple in my kitchen is the whole grain, whole wheat tortilla... Check the label and confirm it's really what it says it is.... and enjoy.

According to the www.lowglycemicload.com "If you miss sandwiches made with bread, tortillas are the answer. Their dough is unleavened so your intestinal tract digests them more slowly than bread. They are one of the few wheat or corn flour products you can enjoy without giving yourself a glucose shock. To make a "wrap," just wrap a tortilla around a generous portion of sandwich makings, fold one end so the ingredients don't fall out, and gobble it up. A sandwich made with two slices of bread has a glycemic load of 260, while a wrap made with a wheat flour tortilla has a glycemic load of about 80. The glycemic load of a whole-wheat tortilla is about half that."

AND I proved it yesterday to myself.

Normally, I fall asleep directly after a slice of pizza or a sandwich, last night after a dinner of a grilled chicken cutlet in a whole wheat wrap, I wasn't tired at all 15 minutes later.

So, it's time to ENJOY lunch again!

Grab a whole wheat wrap! and fill it with vegetables and protein!

No comments:

Post a Comment